Sunday, January 25, 2009

One year today Ayana has been home!

Today is another big milestone. At 1AM this morning Ayana was carried thru our front door! Here is the link to the post from that day last year: January 25 2008 It's so amazing how she is our daughter in every way. And that it seems, as with Ellie, like she's always been here. I cannot even imagine it just the 3 of us anymore. How empty it would seem without her here!

Unfortunately we cannot really celebrate as Ellie is on round 3 of some resistant strain of Strep throat, and I am very likely on round 2 as I feel just like I did when I had it the first time. Ellie is in very good spirits considering, but she is annoyed she has to miss school and all of her friends, and quite frankly she's sick of being sick. I can't say as I blame her. She is on day 5 of fever, and the tell tale white spots in her throat showed up yesterday. I took her to the clinic in the morning and he took a swab and yadda yadda yadda, we have to wait for the results, and blah blah blah. I am actually very worried about her. I am very happy that she is still laughing and joking, and acting pretty much normal, except for the fever and her throat sounding swollen, like last time. Her throat isn't even hurting that much at all. Very strange.

So I am putting the brakes on everything in my life to just focus on getting her well. Usborne is totally on the backburner, as is all activities I had planned around it. Also anything else on my calendar has now been wiped off at least for the next week. This little girl must get better. This last bout came a full 2 weeks after she finished one of the strongest antibiotics. I'm wondering if it's circulating the school and someone re-infected her. Anyone out there have any thoughts or experience on this? Eh-hem, Jen? Anyone with nursing or Dr. experience? You can comment and I don't need to publish.

Ayana has miraculously stayed clear of even catching a cold. Regan said he wasn't surprized. He said can you imagine what she was exposed to as a baby? I mean we really don't know. But her immune system seems to be solid as a rock. Mind you, her diet is probably better than ours, and she sleeps better and more than we do. The holidays along with sickness really ran Ellie down. Too many late nights and not enough sleep in general.

So that's my story. And as my Mom would say, "And it's a good one!"

Have a great Sunday, and appreciate your health!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

We had two of our five with Strep this last few weeks. What did they put her on? Are they not giving you meds before the cultures come back?

Jenn said...

Ok, I just went back and looked at what Ty and Grace were given and it was not Erythromyocin, which is the norm, it was clindomyocin for Ty and penicillin for Grace. Has Ellie only been given Erythro?

When they culture her throat does it come back as Streptococcus A?

Jenn said...

Ok, one more thing....did you get rid of her toothbrush? What about retainers or removeable appliances, does she have any? they need to be boiled.

You, Regan, or even Ayana, could be Strep carriers and not even know it. You can all get tested for that at your family doc as well.

Anonymous said...

Kay...you dont' need to post this..but...Ellie sounds EXACTLY like me. I ALWAYS had strep throat/tonsilitis...and I mean always...at least 2x a year if not more. It sucked. But for some stupid reason my doctor did not want to take my tonsils out. WEll I was then 22 years old with my fourth bout of it that year and it was a doosey. So my mom/dad/myself basically begged for my tonsils to be removed. So he referred me to a specialist guy. He took one look at my throat and said 'yep you need them out.' I wasn't sick at hte time...but the scar tissue build up from having so many infections was quite large...and the more build up...the smaller opening to breath/swallow etc.

ANyways..I had them removed...it completely sucked because apparantly after you are 13 it is way worse of a recovery to have them out...so it was horrible...lost 28lbs (not so horrible. :):) ) but I can NOT even begin to tell you the difference. I instantly felt better. The specialist told me that I would just feel better all together because the scar tissue etc on your tonsils and lympnoids (too lazy to look up spelling)...takes a toll on your overall well being and you end up always feeling kind of run down...except you don't even realize it because it's your 'norm'. Anyways...tonsils out...I feel great...no strep throat/tonsilitis since nad it's been WONDERFUL!!

I hope Ellie feels better soon becuase I know how incredibly annoying/painful it can be.

Anonymous said...

Oh and Congrats on your one year home!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the one year thing! That's a great milestone.

As for the infection, years ago, my son became resistent to most antibiotics because he was on them so much (he suffered from bladder and kidney infections so had to be on them) and it gets really scary because things can get serious really quickly once anitbiotics aren't working anymore. What helped him is to go on Acidopholous (you can get it at most grocery stores but I would get it from a health food store) and to use diet, sleep, and supplements to build up his natural immunity. For colds, gargelling with salt water also helps kill bacteria but is mostly effective at the early stages. Good luck getting it under control.