I finished "The Red Tent" this afternoon, and all I can say is... wow. What an incredible and beautiful book. I mean really. It actually moved me to tears at one point,and I felt very very satisfied at the end. Like you've really enriched your life by reading it. I felt more proud of being a mother, more connected to the women in my life, and to my own "woman-ness." I highly highly highly recommend this book to anyone. I am going to lend it to my own mother, and I just know she will love it as much as I did. Wowee wow wow. So, tonight I sit with about a half dozen books of mine surrounding me trying to decide what to read next. I had the following books out: The Host by Stephanie Meyer, Eldest by Christopher Paolini , War and Peace by Tolstoy, Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb(it's a novel set in Ethiopia), The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory, Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire, a couple of books I just got last night from my Mom, I can't remember they names right now but the one is about world war I I think, and the other takes place in the middle east. I just kind of pick a book up and read the first page or so and see if I am in the frame of mind for this particular book at the moment. Right now it's between Eldest or Son of a Witch. Eldest is totally fantasy and so is Witch. But Witch promises to be dark and fairly disturbing as most of Maguires books are, and oddly enough I LOVE THEM!!! Not to mention his kooky names for his characters like "Oatsie Manglehand" in Son of a Witch. Eldest is more of an easy read, and I have already quite a few pages under my belt from when I first got it. I even had "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" off of the shelf too, but I was just not in the mood. Then there's another Vikram Seth (who wrote A Suitable Boy, a big honkin' book that I LOVED to pieces." called Two Lives which I may have a peek at. Finishing two books in just over two weeks just feels great, and especially since one of them has literally been on my bookshelf for over 7 years.
Tomorrow we have our social worker coming to do Ayana's next post placement report. She is so nice, and I just love her! Regan does not have to be here for this one, and then after Ellie, Ayana and I are picking up one of Ellie's nicest classmates ever and we are going to the Science Centre. Then in the PM I go to the Friday portion of this months COURSE TEAM WEEKEND!!! YAYYY!!! And Saturday Regan has the kids ALL DAY and I get to go on my course. DOUBLE YAY!!! And Sat will be busy for Regan too, Ellie has Kidsclub at the Humane Society (which is about 30 minute drive from our house) and then he has to rush her off to a birthday party after that. It's so great for him to have the girls all to himself without me hovering. So nice for him to be able to do things his way for a change, nice for them too. This weekends course theme is "The Spiritual Life", and I can't wait.
Have a great night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Enjoy your course!
I always learn from Grant when it's his turn with Sofia. I get so wrapped up in minor details that he over looks but that can ruin my day. I also love that she has a chance to learn there are different ways to do things but get the same results.
I'm going to be seeking some 'me' time this weekend too! I wish there were somewhere I could go and sew.
I also enjoyed the Red Tent, well put - a satisfying read. Have you tried My Sister's Keeper? A little more mainstream author but it raises some interresting issues.
I'm currently reading I am Hutterite about a girl who grew up in a colony until her family left when she was about 9. I'm sleepy, always up too late reading. :)
I alos loved the Red Tent.
Sweetness in the Belly is one of my favourite books. We are retunring to Ethiopia in APril and will go to Harar just because of the book. You'll love it!
The Red Tent is one of my all time favourites. I always managed to reach the tear-jerking passages while I was on some form of public transit... whoops! :)
I LOVE Sweetness in the Belly!!! The rent tent is on my bedside table. Fourth from the top :)
Post a Comment