Friday, September 19, 2008

The Hood

The last couple of years I am astounded, along with many other Calgarians, at the extreme violence that is now plagueing our city. The other day an innocent bystander was shot in the head and is now permanently blind. This was one of the 3 shootings that occured in a 24 hour period. I am starting a course this weekend, and where it is being held is downtown. The last time I took a course there was when Ellie was a baby and my car was broken into. Needless to say I wish I had a bullet proof vest to take with me. We are a city of a million people and here is the number of police officers we have: 1600. Thaaaaat's right. 1600 men and women who are serving and protecting over a million people. It's insane. I go for a walk pretty much every morning, and the last few weeks the vandalism has just taken over our neighborhood. Most of it looks like gang type stuff. Along with something that looks curiously like a sperm. I kid you not. It makes me sad, really, more than scared. But like I said to Regan not long ago when we talked about it, where do you go? I mean, where do you move that will not eventually in years to come turn into a big city center with big city crime? Maybe an island somewhere? Sigh.

Ayana has added a new word to her little collection of words. And I am very excited about this one. Can you guess what it is?

BOOK.

And not only does she say it clear as a bell, she puts her lips hard together at first and then puffs her cheeks up with air as she gets ready to explode the "b" part of the word. She will point to books and say "BOOK." OMG, it's the cutest thing.

Have a terrifac day!

5 comments:

Carol said...

That's too cute! Marissa tries to say it but it comes out like "buh...kuh" I'm getting SOOOOO tired of hearing mama (not calling me which would be cute, it's her catch all for "do something for me", up and hi.

Jenn said...

Come live over here, it's only about 20 min of you! It is the most boring community in Calgary!

Louise said...

Wow...you could move to Fredericton, NB :) :)
My sister lives in Calgary (se now...they were in the ne I think). I worry about them frequently with all the violence and crimes that are occuring! Its very scary!!
Louise

911shazza said...

Well, not that it means much, but most of the time, the violence is directed at specific targets and seldom do innocent bystanders get caught in the crossfire (except for this time of course!). It's so sad, but I guess it comes with becoming such a big city!!

Cindy said...

Book is the cutest word! And the crime is so scary!!