Saturday, January 12, 2008

4 more sleeps!

So I called Air Canada this AM to request a bassinet in the bulkhead for the return flights from London to Toronto and Toronto to Calgary. There are already people assigned to those seats!! But she said she put in the request and that when we get to the gate in London I go up to the agent there and let them know we have a request. I hope to God that we get the bassinet. It would be better for everyone on board if we do! I think people must recognize that! If we had the bulkhead (without baby) I would gladly give it up to someone with a baby so that they would have an easier time, thus a hopefully less fussy baby. I know that it does not guarantee by any means that Ayana would be less noisy, if she is the noisy type, but it will certainly help. I cannot even fathom having her on my lap the entire 21 hours in that crammed space. But it could happen, of course. And others have done it and survived. And there is always Grandmas lap and Daddy's lap and we can walk around too. I am just trying to call flight center to see if they can put a request into BMI for the Addis London flight to get a bulk head, BMI does not have a bassinet. I have only ever seen one couple use the bassinet when we came back from Germany and it was just amazing! That little baby was all tucked comfy in her little thing there, and she slept.. well like a baby! And her parents did too. She then would be able to crawl around the bulkhead area and it just looked like it was the best way to go. I am sending positive vibes to the universe as we speak!

The sleeping thing is so bad. I hate to admit it but I have taken a gravol every single night to go to sleep! Isn't that pathetic! I will the only person in the history of humanity to be addicted not to sleeping pills but to gravol!!! Part of the problem is that Ellie is going to bed so fricken late these days, that after she is asleep I like to stay up for a couple of hours to read and watch TV. So I usually am not tired until after midnight. We then both wake up at 9 am. As of tomorro though, she is going to be back on her school schedule (at least until it gets all wonky again in Addis) of hopefully being asleep by 830-9. And then I should be tired earlier.

My sister came over yesterday bearing gifts! She made the most beautiful baby blanket for Ayana! It is white and the pattern is just georgous! She also brought handmade flannel recieving blankets for the transition home AND some activities for Ellie to do on the plane and a book for me!! What a great sis, eh??? It was great to have a visit and I will be seeing her on Tues for the Michael Buble concert.

I am praying to God that Ayana's visa actually is in the pouch and is in hand on Monday, I am sure it will be, but I still worry. Of COURSE! If it is not, there may be some problems. Hopefully Kidslink will still say it is okay to travel knowing that the visa is enroute. But they do have a policy of not allowing you to travel until the visa is in the reps hand in Addis. I stupidly did not read the fine print and booked our travel. So when I re-read the fine print I freaked out and called them in tears! She said it was okay and that they understand the misunderstanding and that as long as our tickets are reschedulable that is fine. But the thing is this, Regan's work is flying someone in from Toronto to do his job for 2 weeks while we are gone. The will be FURIOUS if they have to pay this guy for longer to cover a different travel dates. It would be a very very bad thing. And that would affect Regan getting future jobs. We are self employed contract workers in the film business and it is a very tight community and your actual job is an essential one and noone can just "replace" you on the job. You have to find someone who does your actual job and then they have to bring them in. In this case all the way from Toronto. Anyway, please pray that her visa arrives safely on Monday. I am sure it will as the HC said that they sent it out on January 9th. Leave it to me to always have something to worry about!

We are off to Walmart today to return some baby items and pick up some more stuff. Have a great day!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh!!! Reading your posts makes me so darn excited!! i just want to jump on the plane with you!! Okay...maybe not for the flight...but everythign else!!:):) I dreaded the flight forever..to the point where I made myself sick...only to find out that it wasn't all that bad..at least not like I dreaded...so here's to hoping yours is not either...but mostly...here is to PRAYING that Ayana's visa is IN THAT POUCH!!!

Jenn said...

Hey Lisa, if you can get them to block off a couple seats for you (if the flight is not full) you will probably like it better than the bassinet. I have used the bassinet and honestly preferred just having the extra seat beside me for the baby. I found that my kids didn't like the bassinet and wanted to be held or at least have my hand on them! The extra seat is just enough room to lay down a baby, or if you wanted to hold the baby and stretch out a bit, it works well for that too.