Sunday, September 23, 2007

Okay, my thoughts on the movie. Wow. It is long, there's no doubt about that, but in general it is exactly how I expected it to be. I personally liked it a lot, and was shocked (along with everyone else) how much was cut out and it was still almost 3 hours long! It was like time travelling back to 2005, back to when we all were there. It was amazing that way. Casey Affleck's performance was brilliant, as much as a pain in the preverbial ass he was to work with (like I said, in a little brother annoying kind of way). He was by far THE big star in this movie. My Dad felt the same way... just amazing. Can't say enough about him in it. Brad Pitt was amazing too, but I think we all just expected him to be, you know? He was very very very good as JJ. I would say, though, that the real star of this film is the Director of Photography Roger Deakins... we all knew while filming that he was brilliant, but seeing it up there... even my Dad just freaked out at the lighting. It is beyond brilliant. I am going to wager a large sum of cash that Roger Deakins WILL win the Oscar for Best Director of Photography. Hands down, for sure! The scene of the train my Dad leaned over as it came around the corner and said, "That is AMAZING!' I was sooooooooooo proud to have my Dad there with me. I wanted to pull him up to the front and say to all my colleagues... "Hey everyone! In case you didn't know THIS IS MY DAD~!!" And I introduced him to everyone I talked to. The moment all of our names came up was amazing, my heart was literally pounding out of my chest and my hands were sweating while I waited for my name. 3rd Assistant directors are always buried in the middle so I didn't want us to miss it. And suddenly... there is was! And all of our names were pretty big!! Me and my Dad just squeezed each others arms and laughed.. and well, it was a wonderful moment. Sounds weird, and maybe gloaty, but it was.

Anyway, I will say that not everyone will like this movie. If I hadn't worked on it I would have been bored about 1/2 way thru, but that's just me. My Dad, on the other hand, LOVED it. Really really loved it. He loves history and westerns and really enjoyed the story telling aspect of the movie along with the georgous photography. And Alberta looks AMAZING!! There is not much of Winnipeg, and barely anything of Canmore eventhough we shot there for an entire week. That entire week was cut out pretty much entirely out of the movie. Go see it and judge for yourself. If nothing else you can see BP in all his georgous glory on screen looking very dashing and dark and flamey on the screen.

Have a great rest of your Sunday.

No comments: