Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Last night I watched a fascinating show called "The Natural History of Pets". I woke up from a dead sleep at 1230 and this was on. It was amazing. What I loved about it was various stories about pets saving their humans. One man has a dog that can actually smell the enzyme that a person with heart disease secretes. He has diagnosed over 10 people who had no idea they even had heart problems! Then another woman who was in the advanced stages of ovarian cancer had a big black dog. She was home after one of her brutal chemo sessions and was sleeping on her couch. When she woke up, she found that she was literally covered with her dogs stuffed toys. Over a dozen of them. All over her body! He had very gently taken each of his precious toys and tucked them all around his beloved owner while she slept, and when she woke up he was laying on the floor beside the couch. I actually cried and cried when I saw that. She is now a cancer survivor of over 9 years and takes her pooch for a walk every single solitary day no matter how crappy she feels! I was petting my cat thru out the whole show, and then during a commercial I leapt from the bed and threw myself onto our dog sara and kissed her and hugged her. She was fast asleep and I'm not sure she was feeling the love at the moment as deeply as I was. If you ever see the show in the listings check it out, it is awesome.

It is pouring rain today, I mean flash flooding everywhere. I am going to putter around the house and maybe read. My ankle is completely bugging me since the concert. I think all of the 80's dancing in one spot flared it up pretty good, so I am off running for awhile. I think I have to give running a big break to let the thing heal once and for all.

I am reading a FANTASTIC book right now on emotional eating. It is by Geneen Roth and it's called "Break Free from Emotional Eating." I don't know about you, but when it comes to eating for me it is all about not being necessarily hungry. You know? And I have tried every diet... oh, excuse me... NEW WAY OF EATING... or LIFESTYLE... out there. Weight Watchers, Atkins, Suzanne Somers, Carbohydrate Addicts, Bob Green (Oprah's guy), and on and on. Not that there is anything wrong with these programs, they work for millions of people... but my feelings about food go deeper than not eating past 7 pm. The truth is, if it were not for my job I am positive I would weigh about 200 pounds right now. Everytime I work on a movie I lose an average of 10 pounds, only to gain it back a few months later. And since we are "expecting" I will not be working for quite awhile and I can't count on that anymore. Anyway, each time I start a "new way of eating" the day or so before I binge on everything that's not tied down. Then while I am dieting if I have a bad day I think," Well, I just blew it, so why not eat that entire gi-normous bag of chips or that entire chocolate cake." When I am at home I eat all day long. It is BRUTAL. I know there is something more to my relationship with food than meets the eye, or rather my mouth. So I looked up emotional eating and came upon Geneen's website. She is all about intuitive eating. Eating WHAT EVER YOUR BODY TELLS YOU TO EAT. And to trust what your body wants. At first it is a VERY SCARY notion, I am about 1/3 thru the book and at times I actual feel real anxiety as I am reading her suggestions. That alone is an alarm bell for me to pay attention to how I am feeling. If you ever thought your love affair with food was not a healthy one, I higly recommend her books and CD programs. I'll let you know in a month or so how I am doing.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree!! I am a COMPLETE emotional eater....I've tried ww, atkins, bob greene, dr.phil and on and on.....but i still come out with the same outcome...big!! And I eat out of boredom, when I'm nervous about something...some people loose weight...I reach for those potato chips!! So I hear you!! I'll be looking at this book....maybe it'll be my saving grace! :)