Tuesday, May 8, 2007

81 is the new 20.


"I started running at age 72 because I was tired of all the boring talk about funerals." -- Ruth Rothfarb (Who ran her first marathon at age 81)


Every time I feel unmotivated to run I remember this quote. I have a terrifac book called "26.2 Marathon Stories". It is amazing some of the stories. I was also reading in running magazing (I TOLD you I was obsessed!) about a famous race called the "Comrades" in South Africa. It is 55 miles (that's 87 km to all you fellow canucks) of sheer hell. There are two Comrade races, the up and the down. Every year they alternate. The "up" year is all about hills, and I don't mean little hills, I mean hills that go straight up for miles and miles. There are 5 "named" hills, and they are huge. The rest of the route is not flat either, there are many many hills along the route that are equally brutal. There is a great article by Amby Burfoot (a famous long distance runner and writer on running) about his time at South African Comrades. He is damn funny. It is in this issue of Runner's World Magazine. The Runner's world site is awesome you should check it out if you are interested at all in running. Great info for newbies like me. I was supposed to do some sort of cross training today, but I am waiting for the stupid carpet guys to come. Anyone who has done any kind of renovating knows that it is all about the waiting. Hello!! I have a life here people!

Regan is gone for 2 weeks, and although it will be nice to have the house back during the day while Ellie is at school the timing stinks. We were all salivating at the thought of watching movies all weekend in the newly done basement. Now we will have to .... wait. Sigh. Speaking of waiting, I am sooo glad we switched countries when we did, the timelines for Haiti just went from bad to worse. Now Post IBESR (which means AFTER you have already waited for anywhere between 4 to 10 months for your file to be approved) is going to be 10 to 11 MONTHS. Thaaaaaat's right, I said MONTHS. So in other words, if you are insane or inspired religiously (not to say if you are religous you are insane... well, I guess that's subjective.. but I digress) to adopt from Haiti, unless you are willing to use big bribes to get your file moved, you are looking at 2 YEARS OR MORE FROM the time you accept the referral of your child. THAT IS INSANE!!!!!! I am so livid FOR my friends who are all waiting for their children. Seem there is this fat cat in post IBESR who has took it upon himself to play god. These children are already LEGALLY ADOPTED by the time he gets the files. He is asking for letters of reference, employee letters, passports pictures, homestudies... on and on. It is ridiculous. So now even if we get caught up in the court closures and do not get to travel to Ethiopia until Christmas, I am so fine with that. Nothing like the suffering of others to get ones perspective snapped in place.






No comments: