Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Good Morning!

So summer is here, and Ellie is finally learning to slow down her pace a little bit. The first couple days she was home she was going out of her mind trying to be busy. Everyday she wanted to go somewhere fun. I can't blame her, but it's just not a realistic pace to have in life, you know? If it was up to her, or any kid for that matter, it would be mon: zoo,tues:science centre, wed: swimming, Thur: banff, well you get the picture. She also has a lovely summer cold, but at least it's not developing into strep again. Phew! Luckily she has a friend in our cul de sac that she plays with all day and often right until bedtime. Today we have a docs appoint with a new pediatrician for Ayana and then I think we'll hit the zoo. It's a pretty georgous morning although it is supposed to rain this afternoon.

So the Micheal Jackson memorial thing was yesterday. I didn't watch it, but have seen the highlights and was very impressed with what they managed to throw together in only a matter of days. It was incredible! And when his little girl got up to speak.. well.. even in the paper when I saw a pic from that moment I welled up. Poor kids. And as nauseating all of the over-the-top coverage was of his passing, it reminded me how much of his music I loved. Especially his "Bad" period. He was super hot then, and his video with Lisa Presley made me almost believe that they were actually really in love and everything. I think the thing with him is he (apparently) wanted to be like Barnum and Bailey in terms of his notariety and celebrity. Everything 20 years ago was set up for the medias consumption. What struck me most about all of the footage that has been shown in the recent days is now fragile and unhappy he looked. In the footage of his rehearsal just before he died he looked skeletal. But it's especially in his eyes. They looked dead. I suspect it was due to his prescription drug addiction making him zombie like. When they showed some footage of him 10 years ago he was so full of joy and his smile was huge and he just looked so full of life. Clearly he was a very miserable soul. And as for the child thing, I just don't know what to think about that. I really don't. Only he and those kids know, I suppose. Anyway, the memorial (what I saw of it) was pretty spectacular. So as weird as I think things got for him, I am posting a vid of my favourite MJ song of all time. And now with an African-Canadian daughter it seems only too appropriate as my fav. (it won't let me embed the video so here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI9OYMRwN1Q

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Mamato2 said...

I think MJ was a-sexual. Just a poor mixed up, screwed up soul who was a child in a man's body and did NOT hurt children, just didn;t know what the limits are in this society. In another society simply sleeping with a child, any child in one's bed would not be offensive. (and I really pray that's ALL he ever did)
I, too, was reminded of his music and his earlier warmth. I was sooo in love with him as a kid and in early teens. Much too sad that he is gone and in such a low time in his life. He never saw how beautiful the BLACK man he was, was.
As for his little girl's tribute... I don't know. It was so odd. No tears. It seemed... well.. orchestrated. I so hope I ma WRONG!