Needless to say with the worrying about my cat and the wine I didn't sleep much that night. Yesterday we just lazed around our room until about 2 pm. This was when we kept saying to eachother "no agenda!" We finally got out and wandered up and down Robson and ate Sushi. Carole is like me, we are not big on shopping, especially not clothes. But we like to walk and we like to people watch. So we had fun with that. Then it started to rain so we drove to her old childhood home and her old elementary school of which she has seen neither since she was 7 years old! That was cool. After that we drove to North Van so I could show her the neighborhood and we finally got back to our room where we watched a movie "Revolutionary Road" (so depressing) and got to sleep around 1AM.
This morning she left and at first I was very homesick and completely lonely. It was only 10 AM and we had already checked out of our hotel so I went to Denny's and then the sea wall. I was feeling quite mopey when suddenly I heard some dude yelling on a PA system and realized I had walked into the Annual Duck Splash in West Van! It was very cool! So for two hours I watched as a helicopter dumped 10,000 rubber ducks into the ocean and then 10 labrador retrievers ran into the water and each grabbed a duck to which the number on the side denoted who won what prize. The dogs were HILARIOUS! Especially the one dog who kept changing his mind as to which duck he was going to take! He kept dropping a duck and swimming thru the literal sea of ducks and sniffing them and it took him forever! The sun came out and it was just georgous. The guy in front of me had an 18 month old with him and not for the first time on the trip I was simultaneously missing my kids like crazy AND reveling in the fact that I could actually WATCH the festivities instead of endlessly spending the time trying to entertain a toddler and not being able to see anything. It was awesome! I then headed to a Chapters and read and read and READ, again having to remind myself that I was NOT in Calgary and I didn't HAVE to BE ANYWHERE!!! THIS is why I came here.
I checked into my room at the Kimpton and they totally remembered me and UPGRADED ME TO THE KING EXECUTIVE SUITE!!!! I have this HUGE suite like me and my girls had but with a KING sized bed in the seperate bedroom. And compared to the other hotel, the room was puny and cramped and the location was terrible, this is like a palace. Not only that, there was a knock on my door and they delivered my complimentary gourmet chocolate tray, but the best part was the PERSONALIZED little note that ACTUALLY inquire over Ayana's head and their genuine heartfelt hope that she was feeling better!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???!!! This place is beyond phenomenal. When I brought Carole here yesterday they showed us a room and the guy was super chatty and friendly and she was just blown away. I told her that EVERY SINGLE person at the hotel that I ever encountered was like that, and it was like Disneyland for adults in terms of customer service. Seriously. And he and I chatted about how long some of the staff has worked there, I mean like regular staff front desk, valet, etc, some for 15 years, and he said there are even some for over 20 years. That's how fantastic it is.
Okay, I'm all done about the Kimpton... for now.
Once I got to my room I put my slippers on and called Regan and I could hear that he and my parents were at Ellie's baseball game. Sigh. I really really miss them all so much. I have felt very homesick this trip, and many many times wish they were here with me. I think I am just not used to being all alone, I realized that after Carole left.
I put the TV on and watched some stupid reality TV, ate chips, drank tea, and had my feet up. My window over my desk has a view that is to die for, and I really started to relax and really enjoy the solitude and freedom that is rare in my life. Like tonight! It is not even 6 pm and I have already had a bath and I'm in my py's already! And I plan on reading and may skype with a girlfriend later and not be interrupted!
Tomorrow I am meeting a friend for lunch, and then later I may meet up with another friend or I may head to the North Shore Film Studios to say hello to friends that are there. I had all of these people from work I was going to meet with while I am here, but now I just want to RELAX. Tuesday I will meet up with a couple of other people thru out the day and Wednesday AM I take the ferry to see my very very dear friend for a day and night and then Thurs I head home!
I have not take many pics, but will post what I have when I get home!
Ciao!

5 comments:
so glad to here you are having a wonderful time. you so deserve it. i am very jealous. love you sister.
so glad to here you are having a wonderful time. you so deserve it. i am very jealous. love you sister.
sounds wonderful Lisa, I am so glad you are having a wonderful time, you so deserve it I love you sister.
Sounds wonderful! Glad you're able to get away and relax.
Steph :-)
alright..your trip sounds ridiculously wonderful...seriously. No agenda? No toddler to entertain? Reading and readign at chapters? lots of drinks with a girlfriend? Ugh....happy for you...yet sad for me...:):):):)
Post a Comment