Monday, September 29, 2008

Dr's appoint

This weekend was hard. My inlaws were here, and it was great to see them, and Ayana loved them. But it was tough. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Today we go to the Adoption Clinic for Ayana's 18 month check. I am looking forward to hearing what the doc has to say about what I tell her about Ayana's strange behaviour at times. I hope we can get an appointment to be evaluated soon, just so we know where we stand. There may not be as big a problem as we think. Who knows. Toddlers in general can do weird things, particularily if they aren't talking yet.

Speaking of toddlers talking. I was reading that book on adoption last night, and I read something fascinating about language development. Regan always jokes that maybe the words Ayana is saying sometimes, or the repeating of what we are saying (when it sounds nothing like what we have said) are actually Amharic. We always laugh at that! Can you imagine! So last night I read about a Chinese baby who was adopted at 6 months of age. Around the age of 2 this child started doing the one word talking and the family happened to be around a chinese speaking person at the time. This person said that this child was saying chinese words!! There is a lot they know about language development, but the brain is mysterious and who knows how much gets retained way in there. The research shows that by 6 months of age a baby already has a "bank" of knowledge of their native tongue, and recognizes but may not comprehend word sounds in their native language. When a child is immersed in a new language they must go thru a language loss first. Some stop speaking all together while the brain reorganizes what it is hearing. Anyway, it is fascinating!

The debate was interesting on Friday with McCain and Obama. The only thing that DROVE ME CRAZY but no one seems to be talking about it, is that not one time in the entire 90 minutes did McCain look at Obama, not to mention address him. Obama was constantly trying to talk directly to McCain, saying, "You know, John, blah blah blah..." And McCain just stared at the moderator with this asinine smile on his face which, quite frankly, looked condescending. Neither one said anything new, and it was quite boring. I am looking forward to Thurs debate with Palin and Biden. That should be some good TV. I actually almost feel bad for Palin. She is obviously way over her head.

The Next Star finale was on last night, and as I said before I really hate this show. But Ellie LOVES it, so I came downstairs for the last 20 minutes. And low and behold THE WORST singer of the bunch won. I mean he is ABYSMAL!!!!!!! There were actually 3 girls in the final 6 that could really sing, and this kid is pathetic. He was the only male, and it is very obvious that the tween girls rallied to get him to win, because sing.. forget it. Ellie knew he couldn't sing, she wanted one of the other girls who could sing to win. SO glad it's over. Ugh.

Why is it that when I am laying in bed at 1030 at night I feel the greatest motivation to get stuff done the next day. And then at a time like right now 12 hours later, I can't get motivated to even do the breakfast dishes???? Ayana is down for the AM because our dr's appointment is this afternoon, so really I should be gettin' 'er done (as Regan says) but I just don't care. Sigh.

Have a great day, everyone.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I am anxious to hear what the dr had to say...keep us posted!