I have permission to share with you guys some little stories about my friends who have just gotten back from Haiti with their 4 year old son. I have met him (in Haiti 2 years ago) and he is nothing short of amazing. Just a sweet sweet gentleman! Everybody is crazy about him. Anyway, they had waited 2 and a half years to finally bring him home. They had talked to him regularily on the phone, and he apparently was completely glued to his little photo album and would talk about his Mama and Papa to everyone! The day came for them to meet and my friend and her husband came to the orphanage and their son ran over to them with a giant smile on his face, wrapped his arms around them and said, "Hello Mama, hello Papa!" And basically did not let go of them the entire 4 days they were there. He did not want to eat with or play with his friends unless they were right there. The first night they were there he slept with them, and in the morning he woke up and patted my girlfriends face and said, "Hello Mama." And then patted his Daddy's face and said, "Hello Papa." And proceeded to sing!!! Isn't that the sweetest thing??? Then one of the longterm volunteers was talking to him, and their son said, "I am going to Canada, and you are not coming." Not rude, but just very matter of fact, in case he was wondering. And then another volunteer asked him when he was going to come back to Haiti, and he said. "Never." Again, not rude, just like, "I"m going to my home now, this is goodbye." My friends travelled with thier georgous son, who has spent the better part of his little life in an orphanage, in first class. Thaaat's right! FIRST CLASS. Isn't that cute?? Can you imagine this little adorable boy sitting in those big comfy seats just being treated like a celebrity?? Apparently he sang the ENTIRE flights home. Just sat in his chair and sang. And when he got his kids meal (remember at the O they would get their meals in one bowl) he got these 5 bowls of food. So, he ate one bowl, and then said, "Mama, we have to send these food to ..." and he proceeded to name all his little friends back in Haiti. When they arrived at the airport he was so excited to meet his big brother , who is about a year older than him. They hugged eachother and then walked hand in hand like they had been together forever. So far he as adjusted beautifully. As I was talking to her on the phone, I could hear his sweet deep husky little voice saying, "MAMA!! LOOK AT ____!" And he would say his name. He wants her undivided attention and loves her to pieces, and they couldn't be more smitten with this little man. So, I just had to share those little stories. Sometimes with older child adoptions you hear horror stories, but this one is anything but. They are clearly a match made in heaven. May God bless their beautiful little family of 4!
Have a great day, everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
thanks lisa, you made my morning! i still have tears in my eyes.
i have heard alot of the "horror" stories lately and it gives me such hope to read your post today!!!
oh my word!! Where is the kleenex? After reading the PADS board I thought I had ruled out all possiblity of an older adoption in our future...but this...my heart is melting. :)
This brought tears to my eyes, as I have worked in Haiti orphanages many, many years. I hope your little man is wrong- I hope he does go back to visit one day. Haiti is beautiful even in all the sadness.
That is too cool Lisa- as hard as it must have been for that family to wait 2.5 years (I can't imagine... what strength they have), it's obvious that they were all meant to be together. Thank goodness they found each other and thank goodness that family persevered. What a great story!
Courtney
That is such a nice story, what a cute little boy.
I agree that sometimes "older adoptions" get a bad rap, what a nice story to counter that!
Post a Comment