Monday, April 14, 2008

Hmmm...

So, after my rant about Idol Gives back, I got to thinking. Someone posted a comment on how celebrities bring awareness to causes. I could not agree more! But what I have a problem with is when a mega wealthy person stands in front of a crowd of middle class people asking them to open their wallets. I think celebrities should stick to raising awareness not dollars.

Take Angelina Jolie, for example. Say what you want about her, she brings AWARENESS to many causes. I have never ever once heard her ask anyone for money for a cause...ever. She is like Princess Diana who in the same way highlighted various causes close to her heart by getting in there and doing the work with cameras following. She totally has the right idea. Again, just my opinion here. She wrote a book a few years back, which is fantastic, and I don't recall she ever went on a publicity tour for the book. I heard about it by reading about the book in a magazine. It's called, "Angelina Jolie: Notes from my Travels." And read the reviews on Amazon, the book will really knock your socks off. And I am not saying that they do not give enough to charity, they give huge amounts in many cases, but go ahead and do that, but don't stand there clothed in 5000 dollars worth of clothing and ask the public to give as much as they can. Celebrities have great power, and there are a few that really do use that power to do fantastic things, and kudos to them, my main and only beef is when they use the words, "I am raising money for.. insert charity."

Last night I sat down and started reading a book about organizing. We have lived in this house for 8 and a half years, the longest I have lived anywhere other than with my parents. Some rooms I feel like I am choking on clutter and stuff. I decided that I am going to pretend we are moving, and go room to room completely emptying, purging, cleaning and organizing. The book I have (I bought it a few years ago) is "The 7 Layers of Organizing." By Christoper Lowell. Instead of flipping thru the book to the organizing part, I actually read the introduction and am reading the entire book. And I am so glad I did! He talks not just about the nuts and bolts of the task, but about the emotions and psychological impact of really really purging your stuff. I may even take some before and after pics of some of the worst offending spaces in our house. Most of which are behind a closed door, with which I must quickly close as I throw something in or the entire contents will fall out! Every year I say, "THIS is the year I really spring clean." And I don't. But this really is the year, people! My problem is motivation. I always seem to get the most motivated to do something when it is impossible for me to do anything about it. It happened to me yesterday on the way home from Edmonton. I was getting all excited about the cleaning and purging AND exercising. If I had a tread mill in my car I swear I could have run a 5 k. If I had my linen closet in my front seat I would have had it looking like something to make Martha proud. But alas... today, I am doing laundry and knitting. I know it sounds bad, but the reality is that Wednesday is Regan's last day of work on his movie until the next thing. Who knows when that will be. Could be weeks and months of him being home 24/7, so I am taking advantage of Ayana's nap time for some quality mommy time.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

The Warren Family said...

I agree with your post. You are right, trying to raise awareness does more good in the long run that just trying to raise money.
I also think that if they wear clothing that costs thousands of dollars etc, etc... and also try to tell people about a cause that needs attention it is a mixed message.

Janice said...

Your post sounds like me to a T. I get so enthusiastic in the evenings, when I'm lying in my bed, about all the cleaning and exercising I am going to do. I do clean and I do exercise regularly but not as much as I think I'm goint to. Take today for example. I put my jogging clothes on and took the kids to school. Came home, changed my clothes and sat down at the computer. That was an hour ago. I tell myself, I need some down time to just do nothing then I always feel guilty after.

I love the idea of pretending that you are moving. Whenever we had to prepare our house to move (once) I loved it. We took box loads of crap out of the house and it felt so good. I hate the feeling of being overwhelmed with stuff in the house. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't seem to mind. I can't wait to do some spring purging but must first get off my butt.