Monday, February 4, 2008

Sick day and Part 5





































So, Ellie got sick again last night (just after supper) and still had a wicked fever. She was up very early with fever so she stayed home today.

Mom and Dad came to visit today and Mom brought Ellie a very cute Ratatouille balloon. Ellie got all choked up actually, and had to have the thing by her all day. She even has it right beside her while she is sleeping. She kept saying over and over, " I just don't know how to thank them for getting me this balloon and the popsicles." Also, I was supposed to meet with my sisters, Mom and Dad for our tradition of taking the birthday person out for lunch for their actual birthday (Happy B-Day Debbie! Woot!!!) And when I phoned my sister to tell her I couldn't make it, Ellie said in a very sad voice, "I am sorry you had to break your tradition, Mom." Of course me and her Auntie Debbie told her not to worry about it!!

Ayana was very cute when my parents were here. She was showing off her skills as a walker while pushing her little rolly walky thingy. Very cute! And she goes to my parents no problem which warms my heart to no end! And then they both sat with Ellie and looked at the pictures she took of Ethiopia. We are so lucky to have them, and that they live so close.

Mexican Lasagna tonight, given to us by a family... VERY good! Thanks again Robin and Anjannette!


Part 5:

Shopping. So the next morning we had breakfast and then Ellie, Mom and I waited for Solomon to pick us up for shopping. I had a GREAT sleep and Ayana slept all night (of course!). And Regan got up with her in the morning as promised, changed her diaper and when I came in they were hanging out together on the couch. Regan had booked his own cab, at my urging, to go to the giant market by himself with his driver. He really wanted to experience the real mercado. I was not comfortable taking Ellie, my Mom and the baby there, so we went to the more touristy market. We knew exactly what we wanted so we told Solomon - We wanted coffee, a shirt for my Dad, a dress for Ellie and Ayana. So, our first stop was the coffee place. Solomon bought us two very delicious cups of coffee, and we sat in the corner drinking. We did take pictures, but it occurs to me that I have never seen them. Hmmm. that is strange. Anyway, while we were sitting in the corner we were surrounded by locals having various drinks. There were two young guys sitting in front of me at a table( we were sitting on a little ledge lower to the ground). They were looking at me and smiling. I had Ayana in the sling. One man said to me, "Ethiopian?" And indicated to Ayana. At first I wasn't sure what he said, suddenly it registered and I lit up and said, "Yes! She is Ethiopian!" And I kissed her head. They both genuinely smiled at me. People were curious, no doubt about it. I know they see it quite a bit. I wonder what some of them are thinking. The only time it seemed not so good was at the italian restaurant. The one waitress was walking around with Ayana and showing her the kitchen thru this giant window. One of the cooks (a woman) was upset and looking at her, and a man in the kitchen was comforting her. Regan also noticed and kind of went, "Aw?" Like, I wonder what is wrong? That is so sad? We could be wrong, but who knows, maybe she herself had to give up a baby, or someone she knows? Or maybe she does not approve? Not sure, but otherwise people were very very happy with our little family. On that note, when we were at the transition house and asking a couple of women about their children we were just so interested! Well, my Mom was asking, she loves to talk to everyone, and they love talking back. Meseret the head nurse told us that her children lived 100 km away, and she had to stay in town and saw them only on the weekends. I remember meeting a mother like that in Cuba once too. She was a waitress and it was the only way to support her children, and she travelled home on the weekends. Anyway, this other woman when we asked about her kids she said she had a daughter. When we asked how old she was, she got this very sad look on her face, but tried to hide it, she said (with a very haunted sad look) "She is 13." I am not sure why she was so sad. But I know in Ethiopia young girls sometimes get married very young, have babies, you know it can be very difficult for them. It made me sad. It made me think of Ayana's birth mother. I thought of her the entire time we were there. I would look out the window of our hotel in the wee hours, sometimes holding her in my arms and think... she is out there somewhere. This amazing woman who gave you life. A woman I will probably never meet, a woman I am forever indebted to. When we went to Antoto mountain and looked over the entire city, I thought of her there too. Sometimes when Ayana is crying at home here, I think of her birth father too, wonder if he is looking down on me and thinking I am a good mother to his daughter. After we had coffee we put in our order for the next day, the delivery for coffee was not coming in until Wed. Then we went to the market. They were little tiny stalls a lot like in Haiti. We went into the first stall. Solomon was fantastic! We picked out little things, like a wooden carving of giraffes, two crosses for Ellie and Ayana, stuff like that. Solomon then began bargaining on each and every item. It was very interesting to watch. The crazy thing was was that everything was already super cheap! I mean, the crosses we bought I think were originally 5 dollars or something! So it went, item after item, sometimes she got a bit mad, but then would laugh and say, "He's funny" to us, and Solomon would say, "No, I am not funny, this is business." And he got very firm with her a few times. He even said, "Look, I understand you must make a profit, but be reasonable." At one point he told us to walk out of the store like we were not going to buy anything. I was a bit stressed, like, Hey! I really want this stuff! But then she agreed, albiet a bit annoyed, and we left with lots of nice little things. Next we drove a little further to a clothing place. This was neat because these stores were kind of behind a little gate and seperate from the main market place. It was very quiet and nice. The ladies were SO NICE!~ The clothes were really pretty, and my Mom even tried a dress on! They fussed over Ellie as they knew she wanted a dress, and found one perfect for her. Then Ellie insisted I get one too, but at that first store there was nothing for me. We then found these really pretty table clothes with 12 napkins. Mom and I each bought one. We paid 300 birr or 30 dollars for them. There was a housecoat made out of the same material, I really wanted it, but for some reason did not get it. I wish I would have. Anyway, this whole time Ayana (as usual) was happy in the peanut sling (the best sling ever!). And the ladies were finding little outfits for her too. We left with bags of stuff that Solomon insisted on carrying. Did I mention that I LOVE HIM??!! We then went "window shopping" as Solomon put it, as my Mother wanted a scarf. The next store we went in my mom found a beautiful scarf and when Solomon started to haggle with the woman she got very very mad at him. It made me uncomfortable. But she finally agreed, but was not very happy about it. One last store, and I found my dress! It was perfect! And the lady was wonderful! It was 280 birr or 28 dollars. I just love it. Then we were all done. Although, my Mom wanted to look at some silver bracelets, but Solomon kind of said we were going. She got the impression that he may have seen something he did not like and ushered us back in the car. We then asked him if he would run in real quick and just pick up another 2 table clothes for my sisters, he agreed and came back with them. It felt good to go out just us girls! I can't explain it, it was a really good trip that one. We got back to the hotel and I am pretty sure that Mom went to rest, Ayana had a nap, and Ellie and I played chess. I can't really remember. I was feeling better mentally that day, which was a great relief to everyone I am sure! Namely me! I know that Regan enjoyed the market, but I don't think it was as great as he expected. He would have rather done it on a motorcycle. That night Solomon picked us up at 7 to go to a traditional Ethiopian Cultural Restaurant. It is a Kidslink tradition, and Kidslink paid for it. The restaurant was FANTASTIC!!! It was full of incense and a band was playing. Solomon had reserved us a table right in the center and we were right in front of the band, he gave an indication to someone with a thumbs up that he was very happy with our table. He is very cool. Anyway, he ordered some Tef for us all, which is this honey wine. Mom and I did not like it at all. It tastes like beer/wine and I dont' know what all else. We also ordered sprite, and one for Ellie. Regan drank all of his, and Solomon told him that tef would give him great ideas. I see. Within about 30 minutes Regan had a glow literally. His face was red and he looked pretty happy. His great idea was to order another one. (Later, he kept saying, "I don't know, hon, I feel reeeaaally weird." It was like a strange drug flashback or something! I was no help, I only laughed at him!)Ayana and Ellie both wore their little Ethiopian dresses and my Mom wore her beautiful necklace that she bought. Ellie and I also wore our neclaces that we bought. It was just wonderful. The waiter came with a basin and a pitcher. He washed all of our hands and gave us soap. We wiped them on our napkins. Then the food came. my Mom had never seen the way they serve the food before, and the platter was huge. There was so much food! Ellie is an old pro and digged in. I think we said grace, I'm not sure. Anyway, the only thing we did not eat was the tripe. We just couldn't do it. I hope he wasn't offended. He did what I had read about in our little book, though. He served each and everyo one of us a bite of food from his hand. I had read that when a host feeds you with his hand you must accept, it would offend them greatly. He fed each of us a few times. Ayana even had a little tiny bit of injera, she liked it. She sat on my lap almost the entire time in her little white Ethiopian dress and her little red shoes that Ellie had picked out for her before we left Canada. She was so pretty, and she clapped and was just content. As I held her and she sat and was mesmerized by the dancers, I felt sad for her. I looked at her from behind, her little black hair in ponies, her little head watching the beautiful people of her homeland for the last time. Or at least until she comes back some day, but you know what I mean. Unbeknownst to her, the next day she was going to get on several planes and 28 hours later would end up in a deep freeze with a bunch of white people in a strange place. The dancers were amazing, they came out in different costumes and danced the dances of various tribes in Ethiopia. Later I will post a video of the most amazing one. There was a woman who was whipping her head around in such a wild way, it was hypnotizing. I mean, her neck was like rubber, it is hard to explain. It was a fantastic evening. The pictures I have posted are from that night, I think. That night I think Ayana woke up. I seem to remember her waking up that night once. But still an excellent sleeper. The next day Ellie and I went for breakfast. I don't think we had the baby. Don't think I am an idiot, but I was very tired and this is a bit blurry. I do remember though that my mom was pretty sick, I think it was the food. So we brought her a tiny coffee cup with some oatmeal in it. She stayed home and rested while the four of us went to the Sheraton for a swim. The Sheraton! Okay, wow. It was GEORGOUS!!!! I mean ... wow!!!! The pool was amazing, you felt like you were in Mexico!! I'll post pics of that too. We had lunch first, and the food was great, and then we went into the pool. I think we paid 8 dollars each, or something, WORTH EVERY PENNY! I wish we had gone on other days too, I kept saying how sorry I was that my Mom could not make it. Ayana loved the pool! And Ellie was so cute, calling her and getting her to splash and stuff. There were a couple of other adoptive families there. That was nice. Apparently the owner of our agency was in Addis when we were, and she was staying there. La--dee--da. And we did not see her or hear from her, which was dissappointing. We swam and swam. Then Ayana fell asleep and I put her on the lawn chair. Too soon it was time to go, and we were all bummed. It was wonderful. But the best news for me was we were leaving that night for home! Although i was NOT looking forward to getting up at 1 am and us all going to the airport to begin our 28 hour journey. So, Ellie and Regan went to another market and went shopping, my mom was feeling better but was still resting. I plopped Ayana in the suitcase I was packing and she happily rummaged around in there while I got organized. We all went to sleep around 9, to get a few hours until it was time to go. My Mom stayed up. Then, it was time to go!

To be continued... the long ride home.

6 comments:

The Dunham Family of 5 said...

Hi Lisa. I just wanted to tell you that I've been following your blog religiously since you started posting on the Yahoo Group about your travel details. (Very helpful by the way!) We're in Edmonton and have been waiting since August to travel - you unknowingly met our three kids at the transition home. I just wanted to thank you for all the excellent detail in your writing. It has been theraputic to read about your journey and imagine myself doing it too. Keep it coming, it's a great blog!
Tracy D.

Lisa said...

Thanks Tracy!! It is so encouraging hearing from people who read it! And I can't wait to hear when you are travelling! Who are your children?? Are you waiting for their medical? Maybe we could meet someday? We go to Edmonton often to see Regan's family. Do you have a blog?? I would love to read it!

Thanks again for your comment, you have no idea how much that lifts me up, girly!

Lisa

Danielle said...

I am following it too Lisa...and hanging on every word!!! The more I read about your trip the more I am looking forward to ours. Its encouraging to see that it DOES actually happen for people, even when it feels like it never will LOL!!!

Keep the stories coming!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I love reading this!!! I"m thinkking that I should maybe do this...to share...but also to print out and have as a memory for Judah. I'm loving reading yours!! I just had to say that we too LOVED Solomon...serioulsy...not sure if anyone could not just love him!!! And that lady dancing with the crazy neck...i know EXACTLY which one you are talking about!! I kept turnign away because I honestly thought her head was going to fly off!! :)

Deanna said...

Lisa, I just love reading about your families' trip to Ethiopia to pick up your beautiful daughter. You are an amazing writer, I actually feel like I am right there with you in Ethiopia when I read your writings. Our dossier has only been in Ethiopia for a week and we are waiting to be matched with two children under the age of three, so reading your blog gives us comfort and teaches us about Ethiopia too. Thanks for sharing.

Deanna PEI

The Dunham Family of 5 said...

Our children are 4, 3, and 2 years old - Kenean, Nardos, Natnael - the cutest sibling group in the whole world! :) We have been waiting 6 months since our referral to date... so yeah, the medical is the next thing.

We're at www.freewebs.com/robandtracydunham. Love the pics - helps me put myself there! And now I know what to shop for. :)