Monday, November 19, 2007

no news for us yet...

BUT the two families that have been waiting the longest (we're talking 19 weeks!) got their MEDICALS TODAY!!! WOO HOOO!! So happy for them!

The fundraiser was lovely! Ellie bid like a little trooper on a bunch of stuff, but really wanted an Ethiopian scarf in the colors of the flag. She was up against the same lady, so finally near the end Ellie was putting her last bid in (she wrote it all in herself) the lady was standing behind her waiting to counter bid, and I said: "Hmmm, Ellieeee I think this is the other lady right behind you!" We all laughed. Then I half jokingly said, "If you want to take this scarf away from an 8 year old giiiirrrllll." And she laughed very goodnaturedly and walked away. I did feel a little bad, but the scarf was more than a scarf for Ellie. It was a connection to her sister. It was a way for her to contribute, she knew that the money was going towards CHOIR, it was exciting too, she has never "won" anything before. Our whole table was rooting for her. Earlier when she thought she didn't make it, she crouched behind her chair and silently cried. My heart just broke. So we just kept bidding and now she is the VERY proud owner of the scarf. (I'll post a pic later.) Our whole table just beamed when I brought it to her and her whole face just lit up and she was almost crying in joy, she took it out immediately and put it around her. On her it is like a blanket! It is beautiful, and she'll remember that night forever. Then my Mom won our table center piece! It was an Ethiopian bowl, a CD, a small scarf, two Ethiopian coffee cups, coffee, and a small pointsetta (we found out last night that pointsetta's grow wild in Ethiopia, who knew?). And the best part of the evening was meeting Melissa Fay Greene. When I shook her hand I and told her how powerful her book was, I started crying. I also told her how much I loved and appreciated her very heartfelt and heartwrenching story of her own personal battle with post adoption depression. She was lovely, and gracious and her speech was FANTASTIC and very very poignant and funny! All in all it was a great night and the organizers did an amazing job on it!!! Wow!!! The work involved!

Anyway, have a great day, everyone!

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Wasn't it great?

The lady bidding against Ellie was at our table, and we all made sure she felt bad about crushing the hopes of a little girl! wah ha ha!