Sunday, August 19, 2007

Nanny new-face


One of my guilt pleasures is watching all of those Entertainment magazine shows... you know, Entertainment Tonight, The Insider, Extra...the gammet. And last night I saw one of the women from the old TV show "The Golden Girls" and she was talking about plastic surgery. She had clearly had it, and was touting it for all it's worth. "Everyone should have plastic surgery if they want to... your DOG should have it if he wants to! Everyone should be able to look their best." Their BEST? Is she kidding me??!! This woman looked like hell! Her face was all distorted, and she looked puffy and swollen. It got me thinking. Does noone tell these people how terrible they actually look after procedures? I mean have you seen Meg Ryan? Her lips look like lips from a Brats doll that were cut out and plastered on her face. And Meg was georgous BEFORE she had any work done. And Suzanne Somers. I was shocked when I saw her on Larry King a couple of weeks ago flogging her book about using bio identical hormones to fight aging, of all things, and her face was actually lumpy. LUMPY! She has all of these horrible lumps on her skin and not to mention that the entire top half of her face does not move when she talks or smiles. One of my biggest dissappoinments is in Nicole Kidman. I remember a couple of years ago she was on Oprah, and everytime she smiled or laughed her upper lip would completely dissappear into her head and she had this kind of weird lipless grimace. At the time I thought, "What the heck? Has she always smiled like that? What is wrong with her mouth?" Nothing else seemed strange, but in the last year every picture I see of her she has the telltale sign of the Courtney Love looking upper lip, and the puffy deformed upper face. She was georgous, and needed to do nothing but wear a smile, for heaven's sake! And Joan Rivers.. Holy Moly.. she is very open about all the work she has done, and she is completely unrecognizable. Her grandson does not call her Grandma, he calls her "Nanny New-Face". Pretty darn sad. Then there is the opposite side of the spectrum. Have you seen Jane Fonda? GEORGOUS! And not a stitch of work done, or so she says, and I believe her. She is aging beautifully, but she is aging. When she smiles her lively eyes crinkle up in the years of well earned laugh lines and the beautiful gentle soft folds of her face also curve up when she smiles. She is also sexy as heck too, at 70 years young. And it's not just women... have you seen Burt Reynolds? If you put him and Mary Tyler Moore together they could pass for twins. I am not saying I would never have anything done, who knows, I am learning as I get older never to say never or you might eat those words, but I will say that I am embracing everything that is happening to my face with as much patience as I can, and armed with every bit of anti-aging cream I can get my hands on I will attempt to grow old gracefully... before I attack it with a surgeons knife... maybe.

5 comments:

Mamato2 said...

Oh you are soooo right about the plastic surgery gone bad thing! EEK! I could just smack Meg, myself. is it reversible, I wonder?
Did you see the episode of Oprah with the plastic surgery addicts? The obe blonde was brunette and very, very pretty once upon a time... now she was totally frightening, can not even blow her nose like a normal person (she took the surgeon a pick of Jacko's nose and said, "I want this done", can you imagine!?), and STILL wants more work done. I have had a breast reduction and everyday wonder why my eyebrows are a 1/2 inch lower than 10 yrs ago, but a knife for the sake of (cough) beauty?? Somehow I think not!! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree Lisa!! This plastic surgery is psychotic!! My mother-in-law had it done...and you couldn't pay me to have that done to myself...the pain...no thank you!! And I agree about Nicole Kidman...she looks a little scary recently...not good at all! :)

Maybe I don't understand cause I'm not 50 yet...but every wrinkle is from something in your life...it means something...and plus who are you trying to fool anyway? It's obvious when you do! :)

Jenn said...

Ok... I am going to break the trend here. I am all for plastic surgery. Now I don't mean Joan Rivers crazy type surgery, but if it makes you feel better then why not?? I am only 32 and I am not at all embarressed to say I have had cosmetic surgery. I love it and have never had one day of regret. I think like everything in life, if it is done for the right reasons and in moderation it can't hurt and in many cases may help.

Lisa said...

Jen: I am not talking about breast augmentation, I am talking about the disfiguring stuff that celebs are doing. Which is why I said I would never say never about myself. If fact, I tell every person that knows me well that if I ever ever get any sign of turkey neck, I am going to get it fixed. I think you know the kind of surgery I am referring too.. the over collagen-ed, over botox-ed, freaky lookin' women... anyway, you are totally entitled to your opinion, girly! And you would look totally hot no matter what you did!

Jenn said...

I am not into the crazy freak-show surgeries! I really don't get that at all. Do they not know how awful they look?

You and I are of the hot variety...LOL