I only have about 10 minutes left here at the cafe, I may try to come back later to write more. As I said, Füssen is amazing. Walking the streets here is literally like walking through time. The town is so old, it was even used as a Roman Base during one of the many wars. Napolean actually went thru here. Today we went to the museum and were absolutely astounded by what we saw there. Under the already ancient monastary ( built 700 years ago) archeologists have uncovered Roman arches and fresco paintings. Holy moly. Last night was amazing. Due to the scorching heat of our room I couldnt sleep. But it was okay because there was this great thunder storm all around us. Füssen is on the edge of the alps, and the monastary is this giant mammoth of a structure that is visible from our hotel room. It was big and dark last night against a completely black sky. Then a huge lightening strike would illuminate it for a moment and then the thunder would roll and echo over the alps. I felt almost emotional about the beauty of it all. I was sitting in the open window sill (there are no screens here) and if it were not for the loud traffic and partying below me it would have been an even more moving experience. The relics and old instruments in the museum were there to touch, which is unheard of. Füssen is known as the cradle of lute and violin making in all of Europe. Most famous violin makers came out of this region. The people are very friendly here. Especially if you are standing on the street trying to find your way, within a minute someone is asking you if you need help. Yesterday we were wandering around the monastary, and found the river behind it. It is the most amazing color, like the lakes in the mountains. There were people on the little bit if sand there, including a completely naked man, his very pregnant wife and a child. ( hmmmm...) There are ancient things everywhere you turn. Today we also went to a cementary and saw tombstones with graves as far back as the 17hundreds. We are going to go to a Concert on sat of the violincello at the monastary in the Princes Hall. And on Saturday there is another concert we are attending at another ancient church. We are also going to attend mass at an old church on Sunday. Tomorro we are going to the famous castle Neuschwantstein. It is the castle that Walt Disney saw that inspired the castle at disneyland. Then on Sat we are going to another castle with a man made grotto lake beneath it with a boat! We may try to get into switzerland to see a friend of ours, but we may not have time. I highly encourage you guys to google Fussen. It is a georgous place but I do not have time to paste any website here.
On Monday we leave for Legoland. I will be sad to leave this place. I think a lot of anyone who loves history as much as I do. I am reading the second book in the Outlander series which couldnät be more timely as it takes place in this time period. The service is way better here than in Munich, the people are very friendly in the street and in the stores. The shopping is amazing here too, and everything is WAY cheaper than Munich! Even though it is almost Banff like here, it is very reasonable! I am quickly running out of time. I feel like my posts are not very good as I am always runningn against the clock!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Lisa, We got our referral!!!! I hope you did too?!?!? She is a little girl that is 3 months old! Let us know if you did too!!!!! :)
Hey girlie... how are you doing? Miss our talks, boring around here. We will have together when you get back!! Hope you get some baby news soon.
Love Jen
Ok...I couldn't resist. The CAPS LOCK lady on HA is driving me crazy... I finally asked her if there was something wrong with her caps lock button.
Love Jen
I am so glad the trip is going great!!! And now I am intrigued reading Marty and Jill's comment. I hope you get baby news!!!
But on to the task at hand. I am dying over here wanting to see pictures. I want to do coffee when you get back and I want to hear all about it!!!!
Be safe, Love you!
Post a Comment