Sunday, April 1, 2007

The Queen


Dinner at Queen of Sheba was lovely! There were 3 couples and another gal and myself who were spouseless. They are just a great bunch of people. And what is neat is that we are all at the various stages with adoption. One couple is leaving on Tuesday to pick up their little boy! And one couple is just a couple of week ahead of us, and another family has their dossier at the province waiting to go to Addis, and the last gal just accepted their proposal of a little girl last week! The food was great, and it was very different all of us eating off of the same huge platter. In Ethiopia (and in their restaurants here) you don't use cutlery. You get this HUGE round plate of various stews on a HUGE non-sweet pancake thing called "Injera". You also get your very own plate of smaller ripped up pieces of injera which you then use to kind of scoop up the various stews on the platter. The injera is VERY filling, and the food is VERY spicy, so I couldn't eat much, mostly because I got extremely full very quickly. We were the only white people in the place, it had quite a few local Ethiopian folks there. What a lovely lovely time! We are going back there on the 15th for a function with the Calgary group of Adoptive Ethiopian families, I can't wait for Regan and Ellie to try it, they will love it!

During the dinner, I found a few times I had to tell a bit of our story, about Thania. I am realizing more and more that I am still grieving over her. It is still extremely painful. I guess I have some work left to do. I have this totally irrational fantasy that I will get a call someday that her parents are unable to adopt her and that we can now have her in our family. Sigh. I have never admitted that to anyone other than my mom, and I know it is totally impossible, but I think until I acknowledge that I can't let her totally go. I think the biggest reason this is all cropping up now, is that she would likely have been out of IBESR by now, which means it would have only been a few months to have her home. Hopefully she will be with her new family sooner than later, for her sake .... and mine.

Ellie has her first communion later this month, and I only hope that our basement is done by then! We picked our carpets and lino yesterday, and Regan and I are going to do some painting. Hopefully I will have all of the painting done this week, but Ellie is off for spring break for 2 weeks, so it might go a bit slower.

No comments: