Wednesday, April 25, 2007



If you were a kid like me growing up in Calgary, you undoubtedly watched Buckshot. It was awesome. I have actually had the pleasure of working with Buckshot (Don Barge) in a few films, and you wouldn't believe how excited I was the first time I saw him on set!! I mean, this was BUCKSHOT... HELLO PEOPLE!! I was all star struck, I just could not believe it. I literally transformed into a 7 year old right before his eyes. He is truely lovely. Not only is he lovely, he really loves meeting grownup fans like myself on occasion. He still has Benny the Bear and brings him out now and then for various functions he gets hired to do as Buckshot. The sad thing is is that not ONE of the episodes has ever been taped by the network. So unless you have a VHS copy of a show at your house, there are none to be found. Even Buckshot does not have any!! Anyway, today is my 39th birthday (I actually typed 29 at first as a typo... hmmm...) and it just made me think of good 'ol Buckshot and how he would play the Beatles tune from above when announcing the days birthdays. I never got to be on his show, but know lots of people who have, and it's sad in a way that that kind of entertainment has now been buried along with Mr. Dressup, Mr. Rogers and Captain Kangaroo. In fact, I think if anyone tried to put a middle aged man on a kids show now - a - days, there might be a few too many cops tuning in, if you get my drift. Now kids are watching Spongebob (which I personally LOVE), Fairly Odd Parents (again... LOVE) and so on. So here's to you Don Barge (Aka Buckshot) and all of those like you.... today is my Birthday, and remembering your little ritual and that groovy song has put an extra kick in my pants, and actually has brought a tear to my eye.

39 and holding... FINALLY!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Happy Birthday you big nostalgic nerd!I watched too....