Thursday, January 18, 2007

Trying to get motivated


Everyone has New Years resolutions right? Or almost everyone? I don't formally announce to myself what mine will be. Mostly I have decided to do aerobics at least every other day. So right now you are finding me at the procrastinating point. I was just about to go upstairs to workout when I thought, "Hmmm, I'll just check my e-mail. Oh, nothing there. Well, maybe I will just check in on my blog." And here I am . Sigh. I have been doing the exact same "Buns of Steel" VHS for about 15 years. I swear I could do it without watching Tammy in her thong and very muscular steely bottom. But it only takes 30 minutes and then I am done. Done I tell you!!

I sent our retainer to our agency in Ontario along with a sizable non-fundable cheque. This made me feel so excited and grateful. Just one more step closer to our baby. I have been reading a lot about Ethiopia, as all of us adoptive parents tend to become "experts" on our childs home country, and it is a fascinating culture. And the AIDS pandemic is still raging there, and there are so many many people infected still and dying. But things are better then only 2 years ago, as now the generic form of the retroantivirals that can keep HIV infected people healthy are available to many Ethiopians. I just finished reading an absolutely fantastic book called "There is No Me Without You" by Melissa Fay Greene. It was on my Christmas list, and I didn't get it so I bought it for myself. I wanted to read it before I even thought of us ever adopting from Ethiopia, so there was no hidden agenda, it just sounded like an amazing story. I urge everyone to read it, you will learn not only about Ethiopia and an incredible woman there named Haregewoin, you will also know the strength that hides beneath every broken spirit, and the wings that people can provide to lift those spirits to freedom. It is beautiful. You will learn about AIDS and it's devestatingly quiet war againts many millions of innocent people worldwide, and also you will unfortanately learn about the very greedy powers that were too selfish to stop it. One of the most powerful books I have ever read.

I am curious what Ellie's reaction will be when we tell her our plans. She is a smart cookie, and undoubtedly sees me on the computer and looking up all sorts of things. We sponsor a child in Uganda, thru the African Children's Choir, and I was thrilled to get a very well drawn picture from him. I thought I would take my pic with his and his drawing (above) and then Ellie said, "What about me, Mom? I sponsor him too!!" I told her she was absolutely right, and she even went further and drew a georgous picture for him and I took her photo with it. So cute! So we shall see what she says. Clement will give me the opportunity to talk to her about Africa and the people there, and open up the dialogue a bit.
Our homestudy hopefully will be on it's way to Edmonton sometime next week, and in about a month I hope we can post that we are approved!
Until then, I am dragging my non-steely butt upstairs to jump up and down in resolution fever!

No comments: