Thursday, July 16, 2009

ACK!

With all of the hoopla of the adoption scandal, and doing a major FB compaign for the film business, yesterday I completely forgot to blog the fact that it was my MOTHER'S 70TH BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!

My sister's and one of my nieces took my Mom out for lunch to our fav Greek restaraunt. We had such a great time! We laughed and laughed! It was awesome. My mom and I said us girls need to do that more often and not just for our traditional birthday lunches.


One thing that we ARE doing is resuming our family book club. The book we will be reading is THREE DAY ROAD by Joseph Boyden. I went to Chapters last night and picked up 5 books for all of us! I am SO super excited to read this with my Mom, niece and siblings. We have had an informal book club of sorts in the past where we all agreed to read a certain book. The first one was "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver. I LOVED this book. LOVED. But not everyone did. We then discussed at various family functions as we went along with our reading. Unfortunately we never had a chance to gather after we all had read it.

The next book we all HATED. I mean HATE. It was Carson McCuller's The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. UGH. Yuck. We all finished it, and we discussed about half way thru when we still liked it, but by the end we all disliked it so much we just didn't even feel like talking about it.

So that put us in a bit of a stall for the next few years.

Now we are going to do it again with Three Day Road. Apparently this book is fantastic! And I can't wait to read it. THIS time I'm posting a reading schedule and also booking our book club luncheon date right from the beginning so that everyone will have a deadline to work with. I find that with a deadline I will keep up with my reading and finish the book on time. At least that's how I have been with Oprah's book club which I actually really enjoyed - when it was still running as such.

If you would like to read a long with us our official start date will be September first and our end date will be sometime around mid October, date is still pending. I will post our reading schedule and then at the end I will post some book club questions in case anyone would like to participate via the comments section on the blog.

Have a WONDERFUL day!

No comments: