Monday, October 6, 2008

Braggy braggerton

(Bragging alert here), I just have to brag about our youngest daughter. Her comprehension still astounds me every single day. It probably surprizes me mostly because she is not very verbal yet, so sometimes you wonder how much she can actually comprehend. Well, it's A LOT. This morning I told her it was almost time to pick Ellie up for lunch. She then brought me her runners. Okay, I put them on. I then went to the stove and heard her coming up behind me, and I turned around and she brought me one of the boots I wore yesterday. (I haven't worn them once all summer, yesterday was the first day.) I wear 4 pairs of shoes on a rotating basis depending on the weather and what I'm in the mood for. I have runners, these slip on shoes, my sandals, and my winter boots. So, I thought I would ask her to bring me my sandals, and see what she would do. "Ayana," I said, "Thank you SO MUCH for bringing my shoe!" Hug, hug, pat, pat, "But this is Mommy's boot, and I want to wear my sandals. Do you know which ones are my sandals? Can you bring me those?" And I went back to stirring the pot. She toddled off and I was very curious what she would do. As is the nature of my cluttered lifestyle, all of these shoes along with various pairs of Ellie's and Regan's shoes are all piled up in a messy pile by the garage door. She came back. WITH ONE OF MY SANDALS!!!! I just went crazy! "THANK YOU!! You brought me my sandal!!" I slipped it on my foot, and showed her my other shoeless foot. "But now I need the other one, can you bring me my other one??" And she smiled (looked like a very PROUD smile) and she ran off and brought me my other sandal. I went crazy again, BIG HUGS and she was just smiling like crazy! I should note here that we call all manner of footwear shoes. It's just easier. So she may have only heard me refer to my sandals as "sandals" a couple of times in the past months. Very very smart cookie.

Have a great day!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Way to go Ayana!! She is so smart, and observant!!!

Proudmama said...

What a smart little peanut! And such a little girl to already be into shoes! :)

Courtney

Jenn said...

What a smart girl!! We need to get her and Wil together, let me know when works for you and I will call Laurie too!

911shazza said...

That's so neat. Sebastian was rather slow to talk, and we found similar things with his comprehension... so if she is anything like him, once she gets rolling, there will be nothing stopping her (maybe she's just saving up so she can do full sentences...that's what I bet!!)

Alicia said...

YEH AYANA, You go girl!! WOOT WOOT