Saturday, June 14, 2008

Door Ding Hell

Okay, so here's what happened a couple of days ago. We were at the library. It was crappy rainy windy weather. We went back to our car, and there was an SUV parked beside us on the carseat side of our car. Ellie was about to get in to the car using that door, but I said, "No don't go in that way, I don't want you to hit that ladies car." (This woman was sitting in her SUV at the time.) So I opened said door and was VERY CAREFUL not to open it too far so it was about 2 inches from her door. As I was putting Ayana in her carseat, mindful the ENTIRE time about this woman's door, the wind whipped up caught the door and tapped it pretty hard onto her door leaving a miniscule scratch. She opened her door and I said, "I think I scratched your car!" And I wiped away the larger white mark to reveal a very small half a centimeter scratch in her paint. She said, pretty angrily, "Yeah, you SURE did." She got out fuming, and I explained that it was the wind, and that I was so paranoid about hitting her car that I asked my daughter to go in thru the other door. She went on to say that her car was new, she just got it, blah blah blah. I said it probably just needed a touch up, and that I would pay for whatever it costs to fix it. Stupid stupid me. I reiterated to her that it was THE WIND. But anyway. I digress. She asked for my info AND my license plate number. That's when I noticed that this SUV was a BMW. UGH. I was pretty upset. When I got home I then started to use positive thinking and really believed that once she got home she would hopefully realize how minor it was, but then again, it was a scratch, and it was new, and I do understand how frustrated she must have felt. So then she called yesterday to inform me that "It is not that simple. The quote I got was for $750.00" !!!! I stammered and said, well, if that's what it is, that's what it is. And told her AGAIN for the third time that it was so shitty because it was the WIND that caught the door. She always seems to ignore that part. She also said that her car "was not new, but it was new to HER." So I hung up and promptly burst into angry tears. I was so upset because I was trying SO HARD to AVOID hitting her car, as I always always ALWAYS so in that situation. So I phoned her back and asked her for another quote. She said she would happily take it to another place if I had one, that was the only place she knew of. She said that she would ask around and see if she could find another place.

I am now obsessing over this.

Any thoughts out there??

5 comments:

Danielle said...

First of all, $750 is beyond insane!!! She is probably taking it to a BMW dealership where they are padding the price pretty heavily. If it is a little scratch, it should just buff out, no? That wouldn't cost much at all.

I don't know much about cars but whatever you do, DON'T pay her $750. Find your own place and get a quote and have them give you a full explanation of what they need to do. You are only paying to have a 1cm scratch repaired (which is more than I'd have done!) so don't let her take you for a ride!!! That is insanity!

Proudmama said...

That is the WORST Lisa. I too worry about that happening, (knocking on wood) it hasn't happened to us yet. ALMOST (but not quite) makes think that getting a minivan isn't a bad idea as we have carseats on both sides.

Anyways, I don't know what I'd do. What about calling your insurance company and ask if it were a claim, how would they assess fault... would it be completely your fault? I'm thinking that it maybe would, in which case I would try to find somewhere for a lower quote. It can't possibly be $750. Can't she just buy one of those touch up paints and be happy? Some people. Well, what goes around, comes around right? Good luck. I hope that she comes to her senses.

Alicia said...

OMG that's SO suckie. I'm sorry that that happened to you. I'll send good karma your way that she comes to her sense or the next quote is more like $7.50!

Carol said...

Hmmmmm, there's got to be a Seinfeld about this with a marvelous, yet convoluted solution to this which ends in the BMW lady being run over my Newman's truck while Kramer eats a poisoned doughnut from her fiancee's diner making him pass out at the wheel. It could happen.

Mamato2 said...

Lisa, I know you read my blog, sometimes- do you recall my having a simpliar incident, with a similar crazy lady??
Well, long story short she was trying to sic everyone from cops to lawyers on me, but it was in a parking lot, like you, so therefore NO FAULT.
She tried to get me to pay $525 for this tiny scratch and then wouldn't stop harrassing me. My insurance guy called her, himself, and told her to lay off, or sue b/c if she sued, it would be my INSURER, not me, and HER insurer would never let her do that.
It went away after that.
My advice, based on my experience- give your report to the cops, if they come around, and tell crazy lady you are not paying for an act of nature. :)