So, when we landed in Toronto, we went to immigration to obtain Ayana's permanent residency. There were a couple of people that were able to tell this officer what their child's new name was and later the child's PR card arrived with their new legal name. We asked the lady at the TO immigration office if she could note Ayana's new name and she very adamantly said, "No.". Upon returning home, it turns out that it depends on who you get at immigration. In hindsight we should have just asked her to make a note anyway, just in case it could be done. Stupid, tired, us. Okay, so now, I have the lovely headache of changing Ayana' s name on everything. First of all, we are lucky in Alberta to not have to wait a year like Ontarioans have to. BUT it cost $162.00 to put in a name change for her with Alberta Vital Statistics. And it doesn't end there. In order to get her new PR card with her legal name, we have to A) wait for her legal name change doc to come in, which it still hasn't and I did it almost a month ago, B) AND the stupidest thing is she needs 2 DOCUMENTS with her NEW NAME ON IT in order to change her name on her PR card. Now, the other doc can be her Alberta Healthcare card which I mailed the form to add her to our file on FEBRUARY 6TH and I phoned AGAIN last week and it still is not done. So, Ayana, Ellie and I are going downtown to their office to see if we can at least get her AHC today or at the very least in a couple of days. She has already been to the doc twice, and they need to have her card number to pay for her visits. Now, the AHC will be in her OLD name, so then I have to apply for her name change on THAT once I get her legal name change document in the mail. We have to apply with a PR application and have both of these docs notarized to the tune of 60 dollars, not to mention the application fee, which we may or may not have to pay. Soooo, because the particular immigration officer either did not know she could do it, or did not know how, we have to pay over 200 dollars to get her name changed. THEN she can get her citizenship and then we can finally apply for her Canadian Passport so we can travel with the little muffin. WHEW! So, the moral of this story is... when you come back to Canada with your little one ASK THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER TO MAKE A NOTE ON THE PR FORM ANYWAY, JUST IN CASE. It will save you money and a massive logistical mess that can actually be avoided.
After we got to the AHC office I am taking the girls to the Science Center. We have been in this house for days and days playing Wii and watching TV and I am gettin stir crazy. It's a bit cold today (windchill -17) so the Science Center sounds like the best bet. Since it is week two of Ellie's holiday, the public school kids are back in school and hopefully it wont' be to insanely busy.
It is appreciation day again today. And despite my crabby beginning to my post I am SO grateful for this little baby who was able to join us from half way accross the world. I am also grateful to my husband who agreed to make this happen. And to my oldest daughter who has embraced her sister and new life with such enthusiasm. As well, I am enourmously grateful to our family and friends who have given us such amazing support thru this whole rollercoaster ride over the last 3 years. And last but not least to the many many new friends whom we have met thru adopting, we cherish each and every one of you!!!
Have a great day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey! I keep trying to post and it never goes through...so here it is...many comments!
I LOVE Ayana's hair...it looks great! Very impressed over here! Also I love those pictures you took of your beautiful girls...you truly are blessed!
That really stinks that the immigration officer said no. It seems that it really is hit and miss...which is quite dumb...you'd think everyone would know one way or the other. SOrry about the additional fees...enough with the fees already!!
Boy does that ever sound like fun! We had to go and have M's picture redone because it was the wrong size to fit on the PR card... ?!?!?!!! So I had to drive downtown, park in a huge snowbank, stand in it to get her out of the car seat, wake her up, carry her 3 blocks in -15 windchill because no one shovels the sidewalks well enough for a stroller besides the gov/t building being up 4 stairs... I love the paperwork involved in our amazing kind of family. And I also appreciate all the new friends I have made. :)
Post a Comment